Dave joins the CPA from the Government’s Health and Safety Executive (HSE) where he was Director, EU Exit – Chemicals. Dave brings a wealth of public sector experience, having worked in a range of scientific roles dealing with risk assessment of chemicals, policy development and providing scientific advice.
For the past three years Dave’s work has focused on developing operable post EU Exit chemicals regimes for the UK. This included crop protection products, but also other chemicals regimes such as Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation & restriction of Chemicals (REACH), Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) and Biocides.
Commenting on the appointment, the Independent Chairman of the CPA, Christopher Fraser OBE said:
“On behalf of the Board I would like to welcome Dave Bench to the CPA. I am thrilled that we have been able to make this appointment. Dave brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise, but also the drive and vision which I believe will crucial in helping the organisation and its membership rise to the challenges in front of it.”
Commenting on his appointment, Dave Bench said:
“I’m delighted to be taking on this vital role at what is an exciting time for the sector. Our exit from the EU gives the UK a unique opportunity to lead the way in crop protection and agricultural science, meeting the demand for safe, affordable food and minimising the impact on the environment.
“The crop protection sector is an innovative, science-based industry offering a suite of solutions not only to farmers, but also to the wider public through protecting food, parks, gardens, roads and railways. I look forward to working with the CPA staff, membership, policy-makers, and stakeholders to realise the opportunities ahead.”
For further information please contact:
Head of Communications
Crop Protection Association
Notes for Editors
1. The Crop Protection Association (CPA) is a key voice of the UK Plant Science Industry. We promote the role of modern plant science in safeguarding our food supply from seed to shelf. Our members are involved in the development and manufacture of a wide range of plant science technologies which are of crucial importance to the cultivation and protection of food crops, protecting our gardens, woodlands, infrastructure and public places.
2. Dave Bench takes over the CEO position from Sarah Mukherjee who is leaving the CPA to become Chief Executive of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA).
3. Dave will begin at the CPA in June 2020, with Sarah Mukherjee due to depart at the same time.
4. After graduating from York University (applied and environmental biology) Dave spent the first 10 years of his career - in the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food - in scientific roles dealing with risk assessment of chemicals.
5. Dave has spent most of his career leading specialist teams and in strategic policy roles. He started his career dealing with risk assessment of plant protection products. Throughout his career he has been responsible for policy development and regulation in a range of areas, including genetic modification in agriculture, animal health, marine, rural payments, and particularly plant protection products and other chemicals.
6. Since April 2017 Dave has been working to develop operable post EU Exit chemicals regimes for the UK.
7. Since 2017, Dave’s contact with the CPA, and other stakeholders, has been solely focused on explaining the Government’s approach to EU Exit planning and delivery.
8. A photograph of Dave is available on request.